Tuesday 9 September 2014

Hair: A Dilemma

I don't know what to do with my hair, so I thought I'd blog about it. Because why not?

Most people would call my natural hair colour is blonde. Personally, I think 'dirt-track grey' (a loose translation of an totally endearing Finnish term to describe this particular shade of ash blond) is more accurate. As a kid, my hair was almost sugar white during summer, but it darkened with age. Now, it's, though still blonde, quite dark. And, in my opinion, dull.

I've been dying hair since I was 13 (purple, black, black-blue, browns, bleach blonde, reds... I've tried most colours that aren't neon), and hadn't seen my own hair colour apart from about half an inch of my roots between dyes until this year, when I decided to let my own colour grow back. I lasted for a good while, until most of my hair was of my natural colour. And then I got bored.

Exhibit A. The tone in the photo is slightly warmer than the reality, but you can get the idea. And you can also see my bun showing off the brassy leftovers from my previous haircolours!


We can all agree that it's a bit dull, right? Moving on to...

Exhibit B! I became A Blonde in June. I wasn't sure about the colour at this stage — it's a bit too bright and yellow.


It got better and the colour changed a bit though. Now I have good hair days when I love my hair colour (like yesterday!), and bad days when I hate it. So much that I actually have a ready bought hairdye waiting in the cupboard.

So, Exhibit C aka The Current State! From a day when I made the unfortunate decision to try out a middle parting (it just doesn't work on me). You can see I've got a fair bit of roots showing now, as it's been about 2 months since I dyed my hair.


In all honesty, I don't know what I want anymore. I would love a cool-toned ash blonde, or going back to dark brown, but it's all too a bit too high-maintenance and not that good for the quality of your hair. My hair thinned a lot in the past few years for reasons unknown (it used to be incredibly thick and shiny), and I want to take better care of it. I also really miss my fringe, but the wind up here doesn't make it an easily managed hairstyle.

Fringe(less), colour, length, parting... so many decisions.

Any ideas on what to do with my mop? Do you dye your hair, or stick to your natural colour?

Until next time,
Jenni

No comments:

Post a Comment